How does the Australian Government support childcare?


To help you with the cost of your child care, the Australian Government provides the following assistance:

The Child Care Benefit

Child Care Benefit reduced the cost of your total child care fees. It is available to you if you are a parent, foster parent or grandparent with a child in your care who is attending a child care service approved by, or registered with, the Government. There are certain eligibility requirements you must meet to get Child Care Benefit.

Who is eligible to claim Child Care Benefit?

All families with Australian residency using approved child care with up-to-date immunisation records are eligible for CCB dependant of their income status. The percentage discount obtainable is determined by a means test administered by the FAO. If you have not already undertaken this test, it is advised you contact Family Payments immediately on 136 150 as no discounted rate can be offered until the test is completed.

Once the means test is administered the FAO then issues the family with Customer Reference Numbers (CRN's) which need to be supplied to our office. Until Council has received this information you will be required to pay the full fee.

Child Care Tax Rebate

The Child Care Tax Rebate is additional assistance to you if you are using an approved child care for work, study or training related reasons. The Child Tax Rebate covers 50 per cent of your out-of-pocket costs for approved child care up to $7758 (indexed) per child per calendar year.

For More Information

Call the Family Assistance Office on 136 150 between 8am and 8pm (local time) Monday to Friday, visit your local Family Assistance Office or go to the website at